The GeoTask Story
World-class innovations since 1990
Organization of Space-Time Data
The foundation stone for the Big Data topic "space-time data management" is laid.
Diploma thesis"Electronic Data Processing in Physiogeography" at the University of Basel.
Drought Early Warning System South Africa
Volunteer work against the consequences of climate change in South Africa.
Coupling of meteorological data with soil water and plant growth models to predict crop failure due to water stress. Development of computer models to replace the costly nationwide field survey.
The Living Map
Multimedia GIS as a modern administrative workstation.
Prototype of a Geospatial Multimedia Desktop, which provides all documents, images, videos and maps for business transactions.
One of the three first applications of digital video with geoinformation worldwide.
Modelling of environmental processes
How can geoecological system contexts be used to provide data in the most economical way?
Basic concepts for the quantitative, dynamic, spatio-temporal modelling of environmental processes as well as exemplary implementation of the concepts in the areas of water balance, micro-climate, soil formation and soil erosion.
Dissertation at the University of Basel: The Digital Geo-ecological Map - Concepts, GIS-Methods and Case Studies. Physiogeographica 20, Basel, 144 p. ISBN 978-3-85977-217-5 (3-85977-217-1). Individual copies are available on request..
Scenarios for sustainable land use in Kenya
Management of an international research platform with 70 employees in Kenya.
Development of land development scenarios with experts from agriculture, economics, ecology, anthropology and law.
Basis for the planning and financing of development projects by the Dutch development cooperation in Kenya.
Post-doc research at the École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne EPFL, Laboratoire des bases de données.
How can geographical data processing be integrated into standard ICT?
Systematic analysis of the requirements of geographic data processing in terms of data structure and functionality and their integration into multi-tier IT architectures. Design of a generic application architecture for space-time data for scenario development and evaluation.
First Geodata in the database
World's first implementation of the OpenGIS® Simple Features for SQL Standards, 3 months after the final adoption of the standard by the OpenGIS® consortium.
Geography to the Server: Geographic Databases, Internet Mapping, Geographic Application Services. Proceedings International Workshop on Emerging Technologies for Geo-Based Applications, Ascona, Switzerland, May 22-25, 2000, p. 329 - 333
Prediction of Disruption in GIS
Integrating geographic services into a modern multi-tiers architecture is not based on a continuous development of existing GIS technology. Similarly to the shift from horse carriages to cars, GIS is facing a technological discontinuum. Rather than interfacing existing GIS software with Internet technology, it is proposed to redesign geographic services in a modular way. Geographic services will run in a distributed component architecture and will use standard technology as much as possible. A new application development process will focus on interfacing and synchronizing components. When focussing on core geographic tasks GIS will finally fulfil its promises in planning, decision support and process control systems.»
Concepts of Paramount Importance
Internet-based membership directory for the International Olympic Committee
Administration and retrieval of contact data of the members of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) on the Internet (LDAP application).
GIS Coordination for the Federal Administration
- Technical, economic and organisational examination of all GIS projects of the Federal Administration as Technical Auditor at the Swiss Federal Audit Office, Bern
- Audit report to the Federal Council, implementation of the recommendations of the Federal Council decision of 25.2.1998 on the creation of the Geoinformation Coordination Office (COGIS). Original wording: "The DDPS is instructed to ensure, in co-operation with the departments concerned, the operation of a customer-oriented GIS basic data co-ordination office with authority to issue directives as of 1 January 2000, to set up an interdepartmental GIS co-ordination group and to report to the Federal Council in the first quarter of 2001 on the basis of experience gained with the new office structure and the GIS co-ordination group."
- Definition of the tasks, organisation and specifications of COGIS on behalf of the Federal Office of Topography Swisstopo (see VPK article Chr. Seiler, German version, French version ).
- Definitive legal anchoring of the recommendations in the Geoinformation Act 2008.
Door-to-Door Internet Timetable for Public Transport in Switzerland
- How can door-to-door timetable information across all public transport modes simplify the use of public transport? Concept for the SBB Internet timetable with integration of timetable data from all public transport companies and provision of interactive geographical maps of the stops.
- The concept was implemented by SBB in 2000 and, even after several technology changes, is still the unchanged blueprint for one of the most widely used Internet applications in Switzerland.
Digitisation in Aviation
- Investigation and organisational concept of the information flows and IT systems of the Federal Office of Civil Aviation.
- Data flow optimisation in the worldwide processing of public flight information for the autopilots of scheduled aircraft.
Pioneer applications of the GeoTask OpenGIS® Geodatabase
- Cable network planning Tele-Columbus, Hannover
- Internet-based coordination in public space, City of Bern
- Geomarketing for SMEs, Swiss Post
- Infrastructure for Spatial Information, Canton of Basel-Landschaft
- Raster data management, State Office for Geoinformation and Surveying of Lower Saxony, Hanover
- Federated Geoportal Union, Federal Agency for Cartography, Frankfurt
- Chemical and bio-risk register, Canton of Basel-Stadt
- Environmental data server, Thuringian State Office for Environment and Geology, Jena
- Real-time GIS integration for the alarm centre, canton of Solothurn
- Federated Metadata Server, Federal Office of Topography, Bern
- and many more things
UNIGIS Master Module
«OpenGIS® and Distributed Geoinformation Processing»
Development and supervision of the compulsory module "OpenGIS® and distributed geoinformation processing" within the UNIGIS MSc correspondence course of the University of Salzburg.
Introduction to the OpenGIS® standards, procedure for implementing user requirements by integrating geo data processing in distributed ICT architectures.
Interoperable System Architectures
- Solution Architecture Asset Lifecycle Management System Telecommunications, Swisscom, Bern
- Solution architecture road information system, Strassen. NRW, Gelsenkirchen
- Solution Architecture Environmental Information System, Office for the Environment, Vaduz. Presentation and technical publication «Geographic Data Warehouse to Consolidate Dispersed Environmental Information» GSDI 10 St. Ausustine, Trinidad.
- Requirements analysis and solution architecture for GIS in modern city administration, City of Bern
- GIS-based Asset Lifecycle Management in a modern energy and water supply company, Energie Wasser Bern
- Process design and architecture Electronic building permit eBau, Canton of Bern
- Architecture and system development for the interagency information integration in the Water Information System of the Canton of Bern. Publication: GEWIS-BE - a river information system for the Canton of Bern. Applied Geoinformatics 2012, p. 164 - 170, AGIT 2012 - Symposium and Trade Fair Applied Geoinformatics
- Process design and architecture information system road maintenance, NSNW AG, Sissach
- Agile software system development for planning and controlling the fibre optic network expansion process FTTH, Swisscom, Bern
Development GeoTask™ System
The GeoTask vision becomes reality: A system that creates itself! 20 years of pioneering work in environmental and infrastructure management is made available to you at a click of your mouse.
You determine how your data structures and processes look like. The GeoTask™ system generates database, web services and web applications. In this way, your employees can focus on their tasks in space and time.
Revolutionary cost reduction, revolutionary productivity gains.