Geospatial IT Solutions - For Smart City Managers
All your tasks in infrastructure and environmental management clearly arranged on one platform:
- Designed from the start for the real complexity of our cities
- Clear structures create order in your data, in your processes, and in the cooperation of all parties involved
- Individually configurable solution patterns provide the flexibility and aplomb when organizing your data
- Web services and Web applications are generated for your specific configurations, this means 80% cost saving compared to conventional Web-GIS-Database technology
Call us to design and deploy your unified and interoperable platform for data organization, process execution and communication in geographic space.
Learn how our customers manage large geospatial assets and cross-organizational business processes based on Condesys' Smart City solution designs and applications:
- Smart City Management Concept - How do I construct an effective, interoperable Smart City management?
- Smart City Planning & Coordination - Timely communication is half the battle!
- Smart City Data Management - How do I control all the sensors and all the operational and environmental data?
- Smart City Operations - Always know, what has to be done, where and when?
Smart City Management Concept
The ITU focus group for "Smart Sustainable Cities" defines a Smart City as follows:
"A smart sustainable city is an innovative city that uses information and communication technologies (ICTs) and other means to improve quality of life, efficiency of urban operation and services, and competitiveness, while ensuring that it meets the needs of present and future generations with respect to economic, social, environmental as well as cultural aspects." (ITU Focus Group on Smart Sustainable Cities, 2015)
Condesys creates disruptive technology that allows the cross-linked organization of all data that accrues in a Smart City. The focus is on
- the planning, the construction and the operation of infrastructures,
- the city services and
- the environmental management.
With our cross-organization communication, coordination and cooperation functionalities over Internet, our solutions help
- collect and analize geospatial and time dependent information,
- gather the brain power of all parties involved for planning and coordination of projects and activities and
- plan, realize and document all concrete measures, activities and projects.
The core of Condesys' solution design is an Asset Lifecycle Management System that provides information about all facilities and infrastructure objects like roads, street lighting, green spaces, trees, drainage, public transport facilities or telecommunications networks for the planning, realization and operation phases. It goes without saying that all objects have their geographic position, or even several if needed, for instance for mobile objects or for archiving. A flexible measurement data module manages properties that change over time. No observation or measurement gets lost; it can be found and analyzed quickly whenever needed. Using our status management, temporal validity and logging pattern, every object's lifecycle can be controlled and your solution becomes your comprehensive multi-project and operations managment tool.
Usually, systems and solutions by Condesys are configured and deployed five times faster than comparable geographic Web-database applications. In other words: you save 80% of the development effort and will be operational with your Smart City management in a few days to weeks. Using a simple Web administration tool, you configure and generate all data management, Web service and Web application components. Nothing has to be programmed, no database access, no web services and no Web applications. You compose your individual Smart City solution from 15 pre-fabricated solution patterns that are successfully used in medium to large enterprise GIS solutions. You define the types of objects you want to manage, how they relate to other object types, how they are displayed on a map, which dynamic measurement parameters need to be collected and analyzed, for example with sensors or through observation, which persons are allowed to use which functions and data items etc.
At the push of a button, your Web-GIS-database solution is generated the way you specified it. Web services are immediately ready to upload existing object and measurement data. Then, all the functions are ready for authorized persons to edit, analyze and visualize their data. From the beginning, we design systems and solutions for multiple roles and users, therefore, the exchange of information and the coordination of activities in space and time as well the cooperation on cross-organizational projects can be started without further ado.
Every city and every utility or telecommunications operator has an individual starting position as well as its own ideas on what to achieve with a smart information and communication solution. For the Smart City solution to be used fruitfully in your organization, we are pleased to help you analyze your current situation and develop a Smart City concept for your needs. Please click on the button below to send us an e-mail message with your specific request, or simply call us on phone number +41 79 749 44 84
Smart City Planning & Coordination
If all organizations who shape, use and maintain the public space of a town would coordinate their projects, then
- every party involved could save 10% to 20% of the construction costs; and
- traffic disturbances and nuisances for the residents would considerably be reduced..
Smart Cities sustainably secure their infrastructures and improve quality of life with proactive planning and design. It is important to weigh different interests and effectively use existing resources. Using the system implemented by Condesys for the City of Berne, this complex process with many stakeholders becomes controllable.
- Submission of intentions, proposals and projects: no matter if electricity provider, telecommunications company, public transport operator, town planning office or civil association, every public agency captures and manages its own projects in a simple Web application. Construction plans, schemes and other documents can be uploaded and attached to the project.
- Spatial coordination: the coordination body bundles spatially collocated projects to coordinated projects.
- Temporal coordination: if several coordinated projects would impair each other, for instance if one project is located on the diversion route of another one, or if one utility involved does not have enough resources to run two large projects in parallel, the projects are phased properly to clear out the conflicts.
- Consultation and participation procedures: as soon as the coordination body has elaborated a suggestion for a coordinated project, the proposal is presented to all agencies to solicit their comments. In the Web application, they can study the coordinated projects with all the sub-projects including construction plans and documents. Every agency can formulate comments and requirements, supported by individual boilerplates. At the end of the consultation term, all comments and requirements are combined into a binding document for the constructor.
- Annual and realization programme: once a year, or more often if required, all coordinated projects for the next 12 months are combined in a realization plan, which again undergoes a final reconcilitation.
- Routes to be kept clear: for every project on the annual plan that causes traffic obstructions, diversion routes are determined. These routes must not be impaired by other construction projects. This is a assured by an official plan of all routes to be kept clear, which issues an absolute construction ban for such routes in the relevant period.
- Approval procedure: all utilities and offices involved in a coordinated project prepare the realization plans. Once they are ready, they have to be approved like any other construction project. The approval procedure is also carried out usinge Condesys' system. All details of the sub-projects and the coordinated project are copied to the approval file. Apart from saving time, this makes sure that all requirements resulting from the consultation will be considered and fulfilled.
- Management and publication of construction sites: finally, out of the approval file, the construction site record is created. Start and end of the different project phases as well as the current status can be edited by the constructor himself over the Internet. Imminent and active construction sites are published automatically based on the dates in the record on a Web map layer, that can easily be integrated in any kind of Web-based city plan application.
Smart City Planning & Coordination by Condesys pays fully back within a few months by saving construction costs. We are pleased to help you define and setup your planning and coordination process and to configure your solution according to your requirements. Please click on the button below to send us an e-mail message with your specific request, or simply call us on phone number +41 79 749 44 84
Smart City Data Management
Measurement equipment and sensors are omnipresent in today's connected world. Long gone are the times, when public weather services measured air temperature in Stevenson screens 2m above ground at only 3 or 4 fixed points in time per day. Meanwhile, even primary school classes publish weather and air quality data at minute intervals using their Raspberry Pi single board computer.
The challenge is not anymore the data collection, but the selection, organization and processing of the right data for the solution of the problem at hand. BigData methods might help, but sometimes it is more economical to gather and integrate the data specifically for the target. The Smart City Data Management Condesys deployed amongst others for the Principality of Liechtenstein manages all measurement stations and their observations including the measurement types in real-time and as an archive.
Measurement stations can be fixed or moving. For a fixed station it is enough to insert the coordinates into the Smart City Data Management system. For mobile measurements, the application handles GPS positions or other time-dependent locations. This is how even many years from now, every measurement can be precisely localized.
When supplying measurement values and observations, no matter if in real-time or from a long-term archive, there is a rather mundane rule: without an indication of what was measured, where and how, the mesurement values are useless. That is why Condesys developed a metadata system to document measurement types and measurement programmes. If new measurands need to be collected or if a measurement unit or method changes, a simple entry of the measurement parameters in the Web administration tool makes the database ready to host measurement values of a new type. There is no programming and no modification of the database needed. Using the system by Condesys, you are ready to mange all measurements you collect today and the ones you will collect in the future. SmartCity Data Management is the ideal platform for environmental monitoring, supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA), building and infrastructure surveillance, traffic count and to report maintenance work and effort on infrastructure assets.
Smart City Data Management is the ideal data-warehouse for static and dynamically moving geographic data and business assets with all related measurements, observations and modelled forecast data in the real world.
Smart City Data Management by Condesys radically neatens your space and time data. After a short familiarisation, our customers do not want to part with it; at last, they master their data flows, Web services and user interfaces with ease. Together, we can setup the Smart City Data Management for your requirements within a few days. Please click on the button below to send us an e-mail message with your specific request, or simply call us on phone number +41 79 749 44 84
Smart City Operations
Persons responsible for the operation and maintenance of infrastructures must be joined-up thinkers to cope with their daily challenges:
- Is there a time slot to repair the pavement of a main traffic artery without causing traffic chaos?
- How many operators, field staff and machines have to be provided in the growing season, to cut all hedges along motorways and railway lines?
- When must the tunnel lighting be replaced because the lifespan of the lamps is reached?
- Which drainage shafts tend to silt after heavy rainfall and must be cleaned quickly to avoid danger for traffic and local residents?
- Where do network faults occur frequently and what could be the cause? Is it the age of the lines? Are there environmental factors such as high stagnating groundwater? Are there frequent vibrations caused by heavy traffic or construction sites?
Condesys designed and developed Smart City Operations solution amongst others for the motorway maintenance operator of North-Western Switzerland, NSNW AG. Smart City Operations links every object of the facilities and infrastructure database with the required maintenance activities, their geographic location (GIS), any kind of measurement data, operational data, observations and documents. It determines and manages the work to be done and provides a standardized logging and reporting system for the proof of the maintnenance measures carried out. This spatial asset management system is an indispensable reference for all questions and processes associated with the physical foundation of an intelligent city, a transport or telecommunications network or for an operator of a transport, supply or disposal infrastructure.
Smart City Operations by Condesys is generic and can be continuously adapted to new requirements, directly in the Web administration interface, without any programming:
- Definition of new object types, e.g. for detecting and combating neophytes or for the coordination of road closures for neighbourhood festivals. Using Smart City Operations, you are immediately ready to organize your productive work without having to handle complex and risky IT projects beforehand.
- Definition and management of new relationships and associations between objects, so you can document important connexions and dependencies, and present them easily for everone to understand.
- Standard functionality with each object to manage related documents, photos, notes, GPS localization, work reports etc.; again without a line of program code.
- Definition, acquisition and retrieval of measurement and sensor data related to the environment, to operations, to workload of machines and facilities. Combination of measurement types in measurement programmes, and regular analysis with pivot functions.
- Dynamic managment of geographic work and accounting areas (operating routes, lots, maintenance districts, cost centers etc.), so resources can be allocated need-based and accounted for in a transparent way.
- Assignment of user rights (read, create, modify, delete) per object type or individually per object. This is how you can map the responsibility for the real infrastructure onto your information system, fully hassle-free.
- Neat table and map views with freely definable visiblity of attributes, including multilingual table headings. Smart City Operations provides a consistent view on all data in all applications from a single source of truth!
Smart City Operations grows organically with your requirements and experiences.
Allocate your dear resources effectively to operate and maintain your physical infrastructures, no need for expensive and risky IT experiments. We are pleased to help you prepare your operations, maintenance and long-term upkeep management for Smart City Operations and configure the solution for your specific requirements. Please click on the button below to send us an e-mail message with your specific request, or simply call us on phone number +41 79 749 44 84